Agony as Husband, Wife, two children, others suffocate to death
Tragedy struck at Nkwele Ezunaka community, near Onitsha, Anambra State recently as a middle-aged man, his wife and two children died after reportedly inhaling poisonous fumes from generating set at their residence.
The mother-in-law and an apprentice were said to have also suffocated to death while fast asleep in the same building.
The Nation reported that Ifeanyi from Enugu state, a trader at Onitsha Bridge Head Market, had planned a surprise package of moving into a new apartment for his wife who put to bed few days ago.
A family source said it was same night they moved into the apartment to celebrate both the new born baby and the mansion together that the incident occurred.
The source said: “The entire members of the family were enjoying themselves when suddenly there was a power outage. The man had to put on the generating set stationed at the veranda close to the bedroom.
“The celebration continued into the night before they all slept off and didn’t remember to put off the generating set.
“The next morning, a friend who supposed to join them in the celebration but was unable went to felicitate with them only to discover that the doors were locked with the generating set still on.
“After knocking continuously without response, he alerted other neighbours who forced the door open and saw the lifeless bodies.”
The Nation further reported that the wife and one of the daughters were still unconscious when they were rushed to Borromeo hospital but later died after efforts to resuscitate them, including fixing them on oxygen failed.
“It was only the 4-day old baby survived without any crisis which raised more curiosity on the circumstances of the death of others,” the source added.
Manager of St. Charles Borromeo Hospital, Onistha, Rev. Fr. Izunna Okonkwo confirmed that only the new born baby was in stable condition when they reached the hospital, while other four had already died before arrival to the facility.
Also confirming the report, Police spokesperson, Tochukwu Ikenga, described it as unfortunate, saying circumstances surrounding their death were still unknown.
“Yes, the unfortunate incident happen and we are yet unravel the circumstances surrounding their death.
“The Commissioner of Police directed the Divisional Police Officer in the area to find out what happened.
“The information he gathered shows it happened and the particular house has been identified while the inquiry is still ongoing.”