April 23, 2021

Gunmen on rampage: abduct fifty [50] people, set houses on fire; its not true Police

No fewer than 50 persons have been abducted by Armed men in an attack on Tungar Baushe community in Mutunji district, Maru Local Government Area of Zamfara State.

Gathered report says that houses were burnt in the attacks which occurred on Wednesday night.

It should be recalled that the suspected gunmen had earlier ordered Tungar Baushe residents to pay a fixed levy in order to avoid being attacked.

However the residents decided to flee to Ruwan Tofa, a neighbouring community.

This was said to have annoyed the bandits who stormed Ruwan Tofa and identified those who fled from Tungar Baushe.

A resident said, “The armed men then came and began to burn grain stores and houses of the residents. They intercepted some of the residents who had ran to take cover at Ruwan Tofa community. They also came to Tungar Baushe and abducted 50 persons there.”

“They did not spare any one including women, nursing mothers and children. They herded them into bush. We are now counting losses following this attack even though no one was killed.”

This is the first major attack since the federal government declared Zamfara a no-fly zone.

According to the presidential Spokesman, Malam Garba Shehu, the government took the action based on the strong suspicion that choppers were flying arms into the state for bandits.

Meanwhile, government has also banned the activities of miners.

Reacting to the development the Police in Zamfara stated that “the attention of Zamfara State Police Command has been drawn to a story trending on different media platforms about the attack on Tungar Baushe in Maru LGA.

Muhammed Sheu, Police Spokesman of the Command said the number quoted was misleading and attempt to create fear into the minds of Zamfara citizens.

“The Zamfara Police Command has received information about the attack on the village which occurred on 3rd March 2021. Our combined teams of ground and aerial surveillance are on extensive bush combing of the sarrounding forests aimed at rescuing the victims suspected to have been kidnapped”.

“Members of the public are enjoined to discontenance the reported figures and assist the security forces in the ongoing operations. They are to equally remain calm, as we update you from time to time, please”.

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *