Irate mob used tyre, petrol, burn Keke operator to ashes over alleged armed robbery

Irate mob used tyre, petrol, burn Keke operator to ashes over alleged armed robbery

A tricyclist was on Sunday set ablaze by an irate mob in Onitsha, Anambra State.

The Keke Napep operator was reportedly trying to rob some people at the place alongside four young men when the mob pounced on him.

Residents within the area alleged that the Keke Operator and the four young men are the suspected armed robbers that has been terrorising the residents and passengers on the Onitsha Army Barracks/Upper Iweka/Borromew round-about axis, along the Asaba/Onitsha/Enugu Expressway in the state.

An eyewitness, who simply identified herself as Rose said, “The robbers stopped their Keke to rob some people who were waiting to board vehicles.

“They were about four of them but the one that was driving the Keke was the one that was arrested and set ablaze by some angry youths who saw what was happening and pursued the robbers and three others escaped abandoning their Keke driver.”

“The Keke driver could not run because he was a tall, fat man and elderly in appearance. So they set him ablaze with fuel and fairly used tyres even as he was shouting that he was not an armed robber.”

While the mob was setting the suspected robber ablaze, some tricycle operators stormed the scene and pleaded to the angry mob not to set him ablaze.

One of the tricyclists said: “We know him, he is not an armed robber, we believe he was forced at gun-point by the three-man armed robbers that escaped unhurt, when they flagged him down pretending to be passengers unknown to him, to take them to that market.

“It was under duress that they held him, but as the two men came out from the Keke to rob, unfortunately for them they were pursued by passers-by who saw what was happening and the three robbers ran away abandoning the tricycle driver.”

According to reports, the burnt corpse of the tricycle operator is still lying at the scene of the incident begging for evacuation.

When contacted, the state police spokesman, Ikenga Tochukwu, said he was not aware of the incident as “the information had not got to him.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button