My Daddy’s, neighbour’s Son defiled me for several years – Toyin Falaiye

My Daddy’s, neighbour’s Son raped me for several years – Toyin Falaiye

Founder of Jewel Hive Initiative, Oluwatoyin Falaiye has opened up on how she was allegedly raped by a neighbour’s son and her adopted father.

Falaiye in an interview with Chude Jideonwo, host of #WithChude, discussed dealing with and surviving adversities and her new book: “Diamond in the Rough.”

She recounted leaving her village in Akure, Ondo State to visit her aunt in Lagos, who later adopted her.

After the visit, Falaiye insisted she wanted to stay back in Lagos, being fascinated by the new sights and experiences she had.

She said: “At the age of 10, I was raped by a neighbour’s son.

“As a young girl who had just left her village and was new to the ways of the city, I had no understanding of what it meant to be a virgin or to experience bleeding as a result of rape.

“I just felt a boy had injured me.

“After the incident, the neighbour scolded the boy and sent him away.

“The neighbour then cleaned me up and warned me not to tell anyone about what happened.

“I wish my story ended there.

“However, two years later, my adopted father began to molest me, and that went on for seven years – night after night.

“It’s almost always unbelievable to explain to people that there was someone who came for your body for seven years.

“The days I escaped being abused were the days when I started menstruating, those were my days off from abuse.

“Well, I was threatened not to tell anyone, and that if I did, I would be sent back to the village and would die after seven days.

“I didn’t want to die, and I didn’t want to go back to the village.

“Furthermore, despite attending a public school in Festac town, Lagos, I was already the bright student in my class.

“I always used to say, sexual abuse was the price I had to pay to get an education.”

Falaiyee also shared that dealing with abuse for seven years made her attempt suicide.

She said: “The abuse went on for seven long years and was killing me – I was dying slowly.

“I attempted my first suicide at the age of 15, I remember that day vividly.

“It was the day of the Ikeja cantonment bomb and mummy (my aunt) wasn’t coming back that night.

“She had gone out and then there was news of the bomb blast, and she wasn’t coming back.

“It was just daddy and me at home and the neighbours came around to assure us that she would be back the following morning.

“GSM wasn’t popular at that time so there wasn’t any way to reach her.

“That night, as soon as everyone left, I knew it was going to be doom’s day because this time it was just going to be daddy and me and he was going to have a field day.

“And he did have a field day.

“This time, on their matrimonial bed.

“The next morning when my mother miraculously returned, this man was the first person to rush to the door, give her a kiss, and hug her.

“I was shattered inside.

“Wondering how this person did a double role.

“I went into the kitchen and picked up a knife.

“I didn’t know what to do with it.

“One part of my mind said: ‘Stab yourself,’ while another part of it said: ‘Go and stab him.’

“I was still trying to make the decision and I started slitting my wrist when my mum entered the kitchen.

“I quickly dropped the knife and told her that I was trying to arrange the plates I washed earlier.

“That was the day I could define depression because I didn’t know I can die slowly.

“It continued until I was 17.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button